Why Detox Meals are so Important for us? How can you eliminate body toxins
The first step towards detoxifying the body is, obviously, to reduce the toxin intake. Some foods are almost entirely toxin-generating, while others are highly detoxifying.
The first step towards detoxifying the body is, obviously, to reduce the toxin intake. Some foods are almost entirely toxin-generating, while others are highly detoxifying. In any case, most foods contain both beneficial and harmful factors. Therefore, see below what you should avoid at all costs and what recipes you can follow for detox.
The best detoxifying ingredients
According to the scientific researches, here are the best ingredients you should use for a detox diet plan:
Almost all fruits promote detoxification, but among the most beneficial are: fresh apricots, berries, melons, citrus fruits (like oranges and lemons), kiwi, papaya, peaches, mangoes, melons, and black grapes. Don't overdo it with bananas: only one a day. It is best to avoid eating dried fruit during the detoxification period.
All are great, but the following are the best: artichokes, bell peppers, beets, broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, pumpkin, spinach, and tomatoes. White potatoes and avocados should be avoided among vegetables.
Bean sprouts and seeds
I recommend these ingredients during the detoxification treatment: alfalfa, chickpeas, lentils, or sunflower seeds (you can find them at most health food stores or even at the supermarket).
Other detoxifying ingredients you should use
Besides the fact these ingredients are very healthy, the following contains low levels of toxins, but should not use them more than a third of your detoxification diet.
- Cereals - choose brown rice, corn, millet, quinoa.
- Fish - salmon, mackerel, sardines, and tuna.
- Meat - organic skinless chicken, turkey, and game meat.
- Oils - use extra virgin olive oil and cold-pressed seed oil for salad dressings.
- Walnuts and seeds - eat a large handful of unsalted raw nuts and seeds every day. You can even grind them and sprinkle over a fruit salad, adding extra flavor to your meal. Include almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and flax seeds.
I remind you that during a detoxification treatment, alcohol consumption should be completely avoided because it is a major toxin for the body. The same goes for any source of methylxanthine, a chemical that includes caffeine, tannin, theobromine, and theophylline. That means, ladies, no chocolate, coffee, mint tea.
Here are the alternatives:
- Fruit juice - ideally to be freshly prepared and always diluted with an equal amount of water.
- Herbal teas - there is a huge variety to choose from; taste them, until you find the one you like the most (minus the mint one).
- Rooibos tea - does not contain caffeine and has a taste very similar to "normal" tea.
- Dandelion coffee - can be drunk as a coffee substitute while you are on a detoxification diet.
- But the queen of detox drinks is Water. Drink at least 2 liters of plain water every day. This liquid is extremely effective for this type of diet.
Foods to avoid during detoxification
Although they are normally accepted in moderate amounts, during detoxification diets it is best to avoid the following foods because they are difficult to digest and are irritating the gut.
- Cereals that contain gluten - barley, oats, rye, and wheat.
- Meat and dairy products - cheese, milk, sour cream, yogurt, eggs, pork.
- Also, avoid fried foods, semi-finished foods, cold cuts, sweets, and pastries, as well as taking medicines you don't really need (most contain harmful substances that require detoxification).
Where should you look for detox recipes?
Many websites will give you partially or wrong recipes for detox, but you should be very picky. I searched a week for the perfect websites that deserve to be followed, and I started recently to follow Susan Dale's detox recipes from CookAfterMe.com... but hey, I'm sure you will find a cookbook that will please your taste. Look for trustworthy cookbooks.
Does this type of diet help weight loss?
The short answer is yes, more than 90% of detox recipes favor weight-loss diets, especially drinks. When you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle, this can have more than one benefit. Therefore, it is a good idea to have one month of detox diet/year.
Why you need cleansing?
Our body is "bombarded" daily with toxins, and when are in excess, can lead to poor functioning and, ultimately, to disease. For this reason, the constant cleansing of the body is essential for maintaining health. A detoxification diet is the best ally, as it has a purifying role on both the body and the mind.
I recommend cleansing diets to be held at least twice a year, especially in spring and fall, but any season is ideal to take this step if the body requires it. Apparently unjustified fatigue, constant headaches, lack of energy, insomnia, are the first symptoms of a body full of toxins. Also, intestinal transit disorders such as bloating, diarrhea, and constipation draw attention to the fact that our diet must be changed. On the other hand, loaded skin, blackheads, excess pimples, and bad breath are signs of an intoxicated body, along with irritability and anxiety.
Body cleansing benefits
After a cleansing treatment, you will feel full of energy, the intestinal transit will be regulated, the quality of sleep will increase, and the mental state will be much improved. At the same time, the skin will cleanse and gain radiance, and the vital organs will function at their true capacity, which will determine an increase in the body's immunity, an extremely important benefit especially if you face certain diseases. Also, one aspect that cannot be overlooked is the loss of extra pounds and even the disappearance of cellulite.
Careful! Keep in mind that in the first days after starting the detoxification treatment, you will feel a bit of discomfort, but it is important to persevere and overcome the stage.
No matter if you need it or not, a detox diet is welcome. It has a lot of health benefits and can be used also in weight-loss programs. It is always a good idea to start the cleansing!